Learning Areas for Lower Secondary School
The learning areas are in two categories; core and optional subjects. At this level, a broad based curriculum is offered to enable the learner to explore their own interests and potential as a basis for choosing subjects according to career paths of interest at senior secondary level.
Learners will be required to take the 12 core subjects provided.
- Kiswahili or Kenyan Sign Language for learners who are deaf
- Integrated Science
- Health Education
- Pre-Technical and Pre-Career Education
- Social Studies
- Religious Education – learners choose one of the following:
- Christian Religious Education
- Islamic Religious Education
- Hindu Religious Education
- Business Studies
- Life Skills Education
- Sports and Physical Education
Optional Subjects (Lower Secondary School)
Learners are provided with an opportunity to choose a minimum of one and a maximum of two subjects according to personality, abilities, interests and career choices from the list provided.
- Visual Arts
- Performing Arts
- Home Science
- Computer Science
- Foreign Languages:
- Kenyan Sign Language
- Indigenous Languages
That is it!
We hope this series on CBC has been useful to you. We have only covered up to Lower Secondary. Next time we start on Senior School and University.
We are open to any question so ask away! Just send us an email/ comment below